|Lot #1 John & Margaretha (Bower) Martin, one of the forebearers of the Martin name in the area both of whom were born in Mesabach Germany. They came from Germany to Philadelphia in 1835 and thence to Teutonia where they settled in 1844. They were the parents of eight children, Davault, buried in Lot #44 was their eldest son. Another son, John Jr., is buried in Lot #41 as is their daughter Elizabeth who never married. Son Philip J. buried with his parents, served in the Navy just after the Civil War and was killed in an explosion and fire outside a hotel in Wilcox on April 1, 1874. One unidentified grave on this lot is probably that of another of their children. John had a younger brother Adam born in 1805 who came to Teutonia from Philadelphia in 1843. In 1849 Adam bought the farm on Bunker Hill now known as the Axberg farm and lived there with his son Peter, who was one of the Trustees when the original half acre cemetery plot was purchased, continued at the farm until he was fatally injured on January 3 1890 at the age of 55. He was on his way to Lawrence Boyer's mill for feed when his young team became frightened and he was thrown from his wagon. Shortly after his death the farm was purchased by A.J. Axberg whose son Herbert still lives there. In addition to John and Adam there were six other brothers, two of whom came to this country in 1794 but were never heard from by other family members. Brothers Davault and Peter ( for whom John's son and nephew were named), came with John and a sister Elizabeth in 1835 to Philadelphia. Two of the older brothers served in The Army of Napolean I, Emperor of France from 1801 to 1815. One was killed in the bloody battle of Borodino, a village outisde Moscow in September if 1812. The other was captured by the Russians and taken to St. Petersburg, now Leningrad. John C. Martin, buried in Lot # 31 with his sister Minnie (Martin) Reed and Edward and Philip in Lot #44, were grandchildren of John and Margaretha as were Burdette and Estella in Lot #41. John C. Martin Jr., now resident in Kane and his brother Eddy of Mount Jewett, are the great grandsons as is F. Martin Rumsey of Derrick City. John C. Martin Jr., the owner of Lot #38W in which no burials have yet been made, is currently one of the Directors of the Clermont Cemetery Association.|
|Lot #2 is the Bishop-Lucas Lot. As mentioned before, Amanda Marie Bishop and her husband Joel are buried here. She was 78 at her death and he was 83. Buried with them is their daughter Amanda (Bishop) Lucas and her husband Joseph Lucas and three of their sons, Bishop, Rueben and Alonzo.|
|Lots #7 and 12 contain the graves of several members of the Dehn family. This family came from Germany in the 1840's to the colony of Teutonia - there are descendants still living in both McKean and Potter Counties. George Herzog buried in Lot #68 was married to Barbara Dehn who was the daughter of Maria Dehn and her husband Conrad Dehn; she is also buried in Lot #68.|
|Lot #8W is the Heitman family plot.
The Heitmans were German immigrants in the Teutonia settlement. Francis
and Sophia Heitman buried in this lot were the parents of Christina (Heitman)
Hafner buried in Lot #22 .The old Heitman farm and
Hafner farm adjoin each other on the Clermont - Wilcox road farm two or
three miles southwest of Clermont. Itís interesting to note and obvious
error in the tombstones on this lot - Eliza, daughter of Sophia is shown
as having been born 10 years earlier in 1800. Actually, Eliza was
born May 26, 1840.
|Lot #9 contains the graves of John
Steinhauer and two of his children. The Steinhauers were members
of the Teutonia commune who came from Bavaria in Germany as did the Bayers.
John Steinhauer's wife Sophia, who was probably of French extraction, had
been married before and was widowed with two young sons when she married
John. Her two young sons died shortly after John Sophia were married
when some epidemic occurred in Teutonia. Sophia, being a devout Catholic,
(the only Roman Catholic in the commune), felt this tragedy had befallen
her because she married "outside the church" in a civil ceremony.
So she made the trip to Buffalo, New York traveling by ox-cart, stagecoach,
and many miles on foot, to get things straightened out with the church.
Sophia and John had either six or seven children, tow of whom were named
John - John B. who died at the age of five years and is buried in this
lot, and John William who is buried in Lot #37.
John William served as Justice of the Peace in Clermont at the turn
of the century and was married to Augusta Weidell. She was a widow
8 years older than he when they married and her first husband is thought
to be William Weidell buried in Lot #65. Henery S. buried
in this lot with his father and brother, was a twin - his twin sister Josephine
married John Meisel and their daughter Lena taught at the Clermont school
in the early 1920's. Lena's
brother Joseph was a plant guard at Sylvania Electric Products Corporation
in Emporium during the early years of World War Two and descendants are
currently resident in the Emporium area of Potter County. The eldest
child of Sohpia and John was Mary Amanda born in 1844. She married
John Kleisath in 1861 and died in 1911. Both she and her husband
are buried in the Rasselas cemetery. Her mother Sophia was struck
and killed by a log train in the Clermont area in September 1891 and is
also buried in Rasselas. There are many Kleisaths in McKean County
descended from this family. As has been prevously noted, Louis Steinhauer
was one of the original incorporators of the Clermont Cemetery Society.
He was born to John and Sophia at Teutonia in 1848. He married Fanny
Beckwith in 1876 and he died in 1931. The Beckwith family predated
the Steinhauers in the area - they were contemporaries of the Bishops and
arrived in McKean County sometime during the second decade of the 19th
century. One of the last of the Beckwiths - Mrs. Charles Keefer,
daughter of Ransom Beckwith - was born in Clermont on April 15, 1841 and
died at the County Home in Smethport on October 5, 1933.
|Lot #8E The Bayers buried
in Lot #8E were the forebearers of a well known German family and members
of the Teutonia commune. They became merchants and timberland and
sawmill owners. As has been earlier noted, the cemetery lot was purchased
from the Bayers - the name, incidentally became ìBoyer.î Only in
recent years were the large tracts of land which they once owned, broken
Boyer was the son of Michael and Elizabeth buried here, and he had a country
store at the family farm adjacent to the cemetery - now the Silfies farm.
Pierre Allison, former Clermont and Smethport resident, is married to one
of the descendants of this family.
Philip had a meat market in Clermont when Harry was born in 1875. The Hafner name died out in McKean County with the death in 1958 of Harry, who fathered no sons.
|Lot #13 The Esterbrooks (Easterbrooks) boys buried in Lot #13 were members of one of the pioneering families who were originally from Massachusetts and came to Sergeant Township sometime in the 1830ís. They lived on what was called at the time Esterbrook Road - subsequently the road from Wernwag to McKendricks farm or still later, Huffmanís farm. George and Daniel A. Esterbrooks were the progenitors of this line. As previously noted, David A. Esterbrooks Jr., was one of the cemetery Trustees when the original half acre plot was purchased in July 1873.|
|Lot #22 is the Jacob Hafner plot. Jacob was the third child of Christopher Hafner in Lot #10. he was a Civil War veteran, a member of the One Hundred and Seventy-Second Pennsylvania Volunteers and later a member of McKean Post No. 347 Grand Army of the Republic - the American Legion of that day. He and his wife Christina (Heitman) Hafner, had four sons, Adam; Frank; John C. and Lewis - and one daughter Sophia. Frank and John C. were farmers and bear hunters at the Hafner farm about 2.5 miles southwest of Clermont on the Wilcox Road. John C. the third son, never married. Adam, the eldest son, married and has descendants in the DuBois area. Frank also was married late in life to Mrs. Zalena Annettie Conklin whose death occurred just two weeks after Frank died. She is buried in Kasson. Lewis, the youngest child was not married. Sister Sophia was the organist when the Clermont Sunday School was first formed in Decemter, 1889. She later married Alfred Kidder, a carpenter from Smethport, who built the Clermont Schoolhouse in 1915.|
|Lot #25 is the burial place for Casper Hafner and his wife Katherina (Tiergardner) Hafner. Casper was the eldest son of Christopher in Lot #10 and came to this country with his father and mother in 1852. He was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany and Kathernia was born in 1854 in New York City and they had six children. The eldest was Lena (Hafner) Martin buried in Lot #41. Their daughter Elizabeth married Edward McKean and her grandson Robert E. McKean (son of Marian Bloomster and Bob McKean), still operates the McKean farm on Marvin Creek Road. Their other children were Maria Barbara (Molly) (Hafner) Anderson wife of Robert Anderson; this couple died childless in California; Christina W. (Hafner) Bond who was married to Alfred J. Bond in November 1886; William Hafner and John J. Hafner. Casper Hafner was seriously injured on July 3, 1886 when he fell on the stub of a beech sapling which penetrated his head between the nose and the left eye. This injury eventually led to his death on August 1, 1888.|
|Lot #18 is the Hagman family plot. Starting just after the close of the Civil War host of immigrants from Europe began to arrive in this country. Over 3 million came between 1870 and 1880 and by 1890, 25 years after the end of the war, a total of 8 million had immigrated to America. Today itís difficult to imagine this mighty army of Europeans - in one month alone, April 1880, some 71 ships with 46,148 immigrants landed on our shores. Many of these immigrants were Scandinavians and the Hagmans although not amongst the earliest, were probably typical. Bengt came from Varberg , a beautiful small town on the west coast of Sweden about half way between Halmstad and Goteberg in Halland Province. Today this town has a population of about 44,000 but when Bengt Hagman left there the population was only a little more than 5,000. he arrived alone in Sheffield, Pa. in 1885 and his wife Hannah joined him in 1887, in Clermont with two baby daughters Josephine and Carrie. In the next 19 years 11 more children were born in Clermont, 6 boys and 5 girls. They lived first in the ìPatch,î a collection of 40 or 50 houses which was located just below the Clermont schoolhouse. Later they lived on a farm on the Clermont - Norwich road which they left in the early 1920ís when they moved into the village. In the last years of his life Bengt lived with his son Fred - he was employed as a mail man and met the incoming trains and carried the mail to the post office. Daughter Carrie is buried in Lot #124 where son Carl Bernard is also buried. Another son Gustave is buried in Lot #156; two sons who died in infancy, Gerhardt and Theodore, are buried in Lot #84W, and three great grandsons, (Ruggles), are buried in Lot #135S. Clair Flickinger, Bengtís son-in-law, is the owner of Lot #101, and Lots #98 and #156 are owned by Merton Flickinger, grandson of Bengt. Buried with Bengt in Lot #18 are his wife Hannah, his son Fred Aurthur, Fredís wife Anna and her mother Hulda Anderson. Anna and her mother were natives of Stockholm. Anna came first to this country and was followed by her mother in about 1921. Hulda was employed as a housekeeper by widower Gerhardt Anderson (Lot #35) at his home in Clermont until her untimely death at the age of 47 in 1923. Another grandson, Clair Flickinger Jr., is the owner of Lot #135N. Bengt has many descendants in the country and scattered throughout the United States.|
|Lot #19 is the Amend family plot. Bernard and Margaret (Hafner) Amend had five sons and four daughters. The sons were John, Jacob, Louie, Philip and Martin. The daughters were Allie ( who was Aulenaís twin sister); Aulena (Amend) Burdick; Almena (or Elmina) (Amend) Maloney and Tessie (Amend) McCarthy. Tessie was the wife of Jerry McCarthy who had a meat market in Smethport in the 1920ís, their son Paul was born in Clermont in 1898 and still lives in Bradford. John was an Undertaker in Wilcox. Jacob (Jake), is a well remembered Clermont personality who had a meat market in Clermont at the turn of the century and was later the Township Road Supervisor and a member of the School Board. His wife was a sister of John F. Keating and they had five children, son Bernard; two girls Mamie and Gretha and twin boys Lucius and Leonard. The girls and the twins were mentally retarded and none of these children married. Jake and his family members are all buried in Smethport. Jakeís brother Martin never married and committed suicide by hanging himself in a tree not far from the old ì Gumbootî mine in Augus, 1930. His body was discovered by Edward Finn ( whose parents are buried in Lot #92 ) while deer hunting on Monday, December 1, 1930. Martin was buried in this lot with his parents, brother Louie and sister Allie. Louie, who died at the age of 20 in 1881, was memorialized with a handsome tombstone produced by John Digel in flagstone from Norwich Township near Hamlin - (Hamlin was then known as Digel P.O.). This tombstone when delivered to the family, was temporarily stored in the old Amend barn (in the rear of the Amend house wich still exists in Clermont), pending its placement at the grave site by some family member when there was time to do so. About 1958 the barn was torn down and the tombstone was discovered - a simple case of intertia, the Amend family just never got around to placing the tombstone in the cemetery. The stone was set up in the United Natural Gas Companyís pipe yard near by and eventually - inevitably - people who had no reason to suspect otherwise, thought that Louie was buried there. In the summer of 1979 the matter was set right when this writer and Fred Hagmanís son Karl transported the tombstone to the cemetey and erected it in its proper place over Louiesís grave.|
|Lot #31 contains the graves of several members of one branch of the Martin family; John C. Martin; his sister Minnie E. (Martin) Reed; Minnieís husban Frank H. Reed; John C.ís wife Irma (Carpenter) Martin and Irmaís sister Floy (Carpenter) Morris. John C. and Minnie were the children of Davault and Elizabeth (Hafner) Martin both of whom are buried in Lot #44. Frank Reed served as Postmaster and also had a grocery store in Clermont during the early years of this century. He and Minnie had a daughter Irene, also buried in Lot #44. As Previously noted, John C.ís youngest son, John Carpenter Martin owns Lot #38 in which no burials have yet been made. His elest son, Edward Eaman Martin, presently lives in Mount Jewett. Four other children who died in infancy and buried in Lot #44 and Lot #41. Lena Martinís husband was John C.ís uncle and when he died in 1884 Lena was left with a year old baby boy, Burdette and four year old daughter Estella. So John C., who was 18 years old at the time, went to Lenaís home and lived there and worked the farm for her until his marriage. He probably thought of this as his home and when he and Irma lost their first child, Grace Elizabeth born in 1912, it was probably buried in Lenaís Lot #41. Another daughter Cleone Vernett was born in 1913 and sons Herman and Everett were stillborn in 1917 and 1918. These last three are presumed to be buried in Lot #44.|
|Lot #35 is the family plot of Andrew J. Anderson Sr. and his wife Elin. They came to Clermont in about 1880 from the Oslo area of Norway and were known locally as the ìNorwegianî Andersons to distinguish them from the many of other Andersons, all of whom were Swedish. In addition to himself and his wife, sons Andrew J. Jr., and Gerhardt and Gerhardtís wife, Ida (Erickson) Anderson are buried in this lot. An infant son of Andrew Jr., who died at birth in 1911 is also buried here. A sister of Andrew and Gerhardt, Ellen Johanna (Anderson) Hafner is buried in Lot #103. She was Harry Hafnerís second wife, killed in at auto accident on March 15, 1947. Her brother Gerhardt was also killed in an auto accident three years later in 1950. Robert M. Anderson, son of Andrew J. Jr., is buried in Lot #97N. The brother-in-law of Andrew J. Jr.ís youngest daughter Alva, still living as of this writing, is the widow of Clint Silfies buried in Lot #132.|
|Lot #36 is the Hellman family plot and contains four graves; Aaron and his wife Emma and two daughters, Anne and Lizzie. Two sons, Charles and Oscar reached maturity, married and had families, died and are buried elsewhere. Oscar married Julia Bloomster, daughter of Sam Bloomster and they had three daughters Emma, Frances and Gertrude. Only the latter is still living as of this writing - in Jamestown, New York. Charles Godfrey Hellman was married to Myrta Bell Calhoun and they had four daughters, Mildred (Rozelle); Anna Bell (Plyler); Martha (Shubert) and Elvira (Bowen) - all born between 1904 and 1908. All but Mildred are still living as of this writing. Lizzie, (Josefina Eliza) was born August 31, 1875 and died March 17, 1897 of what was later thought to be a ruptured appendix. The Hellmen homestead was northeast of and next door to the Clermont school and has been owned by the Grillo family since its sale by Oscar Hellman in 1926. Aaron Hellman had a livery stable in Clermont early in this century and was one of the first in the area to have an automobile - which was a ìStanley Steamer.î Aaron, born in October 1853 and Emma, born in July, 1885 came to the U.S. in 1882 and both died in the early ë20ís.|
|Lot #37 Commented on in Lot #9|
|Lot #41 is the family plot of another branch of the Martins; John, brother of Davault in Lot #44, and his wife Lena (Hafner) Martin, daughter of Casper. Lenaís sister-in-law, Elizabeth Mae (Hafner) Martin, was also her aunt, wife of Davault and daughter of Christopher. Lena was a staunch member of, and long time Sunday School teacher in the old Methodist Church at Clermont. Their homestead was a mile and a half or so southwest of Clermont on the Wilcox road. Son Burdette worked the homestead farm until his death at age 41 in 1924. An oat grain became lodged under one of his finger nails and death resulted from what was known in those days as ìblood poisoning.î Descendant F. Martin Rumsey, son of Garth Eaton Rumsey and Estella (Martin) Rumsey presently lives in Derrick City.|
|Lot #44 is the burial place for
Davault and Elizabeth (Hafner) Martin and their grand daughter Irene Reed,
all of whom have been previously mentioned. In addition, there are buried
here, son Phillip who was a deaf mute, daughter-in-law Alta wife of Edward
and son Edward, who survived his wife by 17 years and died July 22, 1932
in the Warren State Mental Hospital. He and his brother John C. (Lot
#31) had adjoining farms about a mile out of Marvindale on the Clermont
road. Also buried in this lot are three infant children of John C.
and Irma Martin, both of whom are buried in Lot #31.
|Lot #43 is the family plot of John Alfred Anderson, born January 25, 1863 and his wife Anna. The tombstone shows his name as ìFred J.î and the year of his birth as 1862 - both details in error. Fred was a part time farmer and stone mason; he was Swedish but his wife was English. Their farm, still owned by family members is about a mile fram the Clermont school on the Marvindale road. Fred and his wife had sex sons and five daughters. Twin daughters Ruby Almina and Adora Altina were born May 12, 1896 and died in infancy, their burial place is unkown. Daughter Mary and sons Herman and Willie are buried in the family plot. Grandson Floyd who died in 1967, and who was the son of Carrie, is also buried here, while sons Albert and Clifford are buried in Lot #106. One daughter, Olive (Anderson) Connors was still living as of this writing. Son Willie was killed in an accident near the Pittsburg, Shawmut and Northern Railroad station in Clermont when he fell under a train and both his legs were severed. Floyd had a younger sister Glendora who is also deceased. Floyd was mildly retarded, however this didnít particularly hinder his success as a human being. He was very amiable, friendly, and good hearted man and everyone who knew him liked him. As a small boy he was the personification of Mark Twainís bare-footed character ìHuckleberry Finn,î and he was dubbed ìHuckleberryî by Emil Erlandson ( Lot #99). This nickname was quickly shortened to ìHuckî and that was how he was knows throughout his life. He never married. As a young man for a few years he lived and worked in Buffalo; during the last years of his life he lived in the old homestead with his Aunt Mary Wilkow who was a widow and supported himself by operating a gasoline station there.|
|Lot #75 is the Dunkle family plot. Roy Dunkle was an employee of the United Natural Gas Company - (now the National Fuel Gas Company) - and lived at Five Mile along the Pittsburg, Shawmut and Northern Railroad right-of-way.|
|Lot #76 is a single burial of Alma A. Miller, wife of Aaron Miller buried in Lot # 109 and mother of Irene E. (Miller) Johnson, still living as of this writing, whose husband Earl is buried in Lot #109. Mrs. Miller died at the age of 38 leaving 5 young children. Irene, the eldest, was only 12 years old when her mother died - Pauline, Carl, Alberta and Hilda were all younger. Mr. Miller didnít remarry and the children were raised without a mother. Aaron Miller was the brother of Andrew Andersonís wife. Andrew is buried in Lot #35 but his wife is buried in Rochester, New York where she died while living with her son Karl.|
|Lot #59 There is no identification for the burial in Lot #59 save for the marker, poignant in its brevity, saying only ìHughie.î That name at that time was common as a first name amongst people of Scotch lineage.|
|Lot #60/61 The burials in
Lots #60 and #61 have previously been commented on.
|Lot #83 is the family plot of Joseph Luther Dibler who worked as a blacksmith for the United Natural Gas Company in Clermont for many years. His first wife was Della May Whitaker, daughter of Tom Whitaker buried in Lot #120. They had four children, Iroe Carl; Claude; Lulu and Christine Maude. Della May died in childbirth when Christine Maude was born on September 27, 1905 and the childís death followed a month later on October 27 1905. Joe then married Minnie Rozella Ross who was 20 years his junior, and they had 8 children, two of whom are buried in Lot #83; an infant stillborn in March 1912; and Bertha Elizabeth who died on September 22 1939 at the age of 21 years. Also buried in this lot is the stillborn child of Esther (Dibler) Crattie and her husband Charles John Crattie - born on December 30, 1934. Charles Crattie, Joseph Luther Diblerís son-in-law, is buried in Lot #116 where provision has also been made for his wife Esther, still living as of this writing. Joeís son-in-law, John Arvid Larson is buried in Lot #113S where provision has been made for daughter Dorothy. Lot #113N is owned by son Joe Dibler and contains no burials as of this date.|
|Lot #100 contains the graves of John Erlandson and his wife AnnieEthel Mathews. In addition Annieís sister Laura and her husband Ed Yoder are buried in this lot. John spent his entire life on the Erlandson farm and as a partner in Erlandson Brothers General Store in Clermont.|
|Lot #101 is owned by Clair L. Flickinger Sr. and contains no burials of this writing.|