Jonathon Colegrove opened his first store in Colegrove, Pennsylvania. In 1883 the store was sold to C.A. Anderson and W.J. opened a new store in Smethport right next to the Hamlin Bank shortly thereafter. His new store handled general merchandise store as well as groceries.
See this store in the year 1935.
W.J. Colegrove, Smethport, was born in what is now Norwich Township, McKean Co., Penn. His father, Jonathan Colegrove, late of McKean County, N. Y., in 1815, and was one of the pioneers of said county, having removed hither from Chenango County, N. Y., in 1815, and was one of three brothers (the others being Park and Benjamin), all of whom resided for many years in what was then Sergeant Township, but is now Norwich Township. They were born in the town of Sterling, Windham Co., Conn. Jonathan Colegrove was educated at the district school of his native town, and at Plainfield Academy. He was married to Miss Eliza Gallup, a native of Griswold, Conn., and removed to Chenango County. After serving in the army at Sackett's Harbor in the War of 1812, he lived on a farm which he worked summers, and taught school, winters, for some years, after which they came to McKean County, where he followed faring and teaching, also had charge of the large Ridgway landed property until 1852. He was twice county commissioner, being the first at the it's organization, and when it was connected with Potter County; he was also treasurer one term; served one term as representative of his district in 1824-25; was the first postmaster of Norwich when the mail was carried from Smethport to Lock Haven once in two weeks on horseback, the rider carrying a "tin horn" to give warning of his approach. The children born of this union were Eliza F. (the late Mrs. Daniel Rifle), William W. (who died when five years old), Horace (who married Emily Burlingame, and whose death occurred in Norwich Township in 1888), William J., Laura Ann and Laura Ette (twins). The only survivors of these children are William J. and Laura Ann. Mrs. Colegrove died in 1859 in her seventy-fourth year. Jonathon Colegrove was respected by all who knew him for his sterling integrity and his business qualifications. He was an oldline Whig from their organization, and on the dissolution of that party became a zealous Republican, and so continued to his death. Through his influence, a zealous Republican, and so continued to his death. Through his influence, while in the legislature, he obtained an appropriation from the State for the while in the legislature, he obtained an appropriation from the State for the Smethport Academy, which was subsequently built and opened to the public. He died in 1872 in his ninetieth year. W. J. Colegrove, the subject proper of this sketch, was born in 1821, and was educated at the common schools of Norwich township, and Smethport Academy, after which he married, in 1841, Miss Eunice H. Wright, of Kanona, Steuben Co., N.Y., and they began their married life on the old homestead farm in Norwich Township, McKean Co., Penn., he teaching school, winters, for some years. There they remained until 1880, when they removed to Smethport, he having since 1852 had charge of the Ridgway estates, which were located in McKean and Elk counties, embracing two tracts of land, each containing 40,000 acres, situated in said counties, and of which he had exclusive control, being authorized to sell, collect and make titles without restriction. This continued until the decease of the principal, when the executor wished Mr. Colegrove to continue as before, which position he still occupies. A portion of the estate had been sold when Mr. Colegrove assumed its management, but he has now disposed of all, except about 16,430 acres in McKean County. Mr. Colegrove was elected in justice of the peace, in 1842, while residing in Norwich Township; has also served two terms as commissioner of McKean County, and was a member of the board during the erection of the present fine courthouse, which was begun and completed during his term from 1879 to 1881, inclusive. Mr. Colegrove was instrumental in the creating of a new post-office at Colegrove, of which he was postmaster until 1880; he was also appointed by Gov. W. F. Johnston as sheriff of McKean County, in 1851, to fill the unexpired term of E. Bard. He is a prominent and active worker in the Republican party, his first vote, however, having been cast for Clay and Frelinghuysen, Whigs; but he has voted for every Republican candidate since the organization of the party, and he was the elector of his district at Grant's last election. He is a Prohibitionist in principle, but not a third-party man . Mr. and Mrs. Colegrove have four children: Harriet Amelia, who married Thomas Saunders, of Westfield, Tioga Co., Penn.; Alpha William, now on the old homestead; Lydia Sophia, widow of the late John S. Ross, of Coudersport, Penn., and Clarence Melville.
Up to the Times.
The McKean County Minor
November 4, 1880
Although Colegrove recently suffered from a rather disastrous conflagration, which wiped out considerable of the businesses portion of the town, Colegrove & Son of that place, luckily escaped and continue to sell goods of a quality and price far beyond competition. It is but a short time since they were compelled to put an addition on their store to make room for the large and select stock of goods they keep constantly on hand to supply their customers. No plans have been spared by this enterprising man to put in a stock of goods that would meet the ready wants of their patrons. They have a choice line of groceries and provisions, and as fine a line of dry goods as can be found in any first-class store. They are an old firm in that place and those who have dealt with them once will deal with them again, as what they represent to be first-class that can be depended upon. They have a line of winter goods that everyone contemplating buying should look at before purchasing. They keep a general merchandising store and the climate of Colegrove and the surrounding should give Colegrove & Son a call before purchasing elsewhere.