1926: Boys' Magazine Morphs
Into Boys' Own Magazine.
early 1925, The Boys Magazine,filed for bankrupcy
and was forced to shut down. When
a former writer for the magazine, Mr. Herbert Hungerford,
heard of the breakup he travelled to Smethport, PA with hopes
for forming a new magazine to take the place of the original
The Boys' Magazine.`
At the Sheriff's office sale, Mr. Hungerford bought all of the
former equipment, furniture, and files. He later purchased
the buildings that housed the former magazine.
On November 6, 1925,
a company was organized and incorporated to use the printing
presses were so good that they could put out around 200,000
copies each month. Two offices were used by the company.
The first of the offices was based in Smethport, where the presses
and buildings were located. The other office was the editorial
and advertising office located just a few blocks from Broadway
in New York City. The company owned and distributed about
$150,000 dollars worth of stock to interested investors and
persons that ordered subscriptions to the magazine.
company had seven directors. President- Mr. Sanford L.
Fry, Treasurer- Mr. William F. Specht, Secretary- Miss Chloe
M. Lyle, Mr. O. J. Hamlin, Mr. E. G. Potter, Mr. H. H. Redfield,
and of course Mr. Herbert Hungerford,who was the President of
credits: Jim and Sylvia Herzog Collection }
examples of the pictures and cartoons in the Boys' Own Magazine
cartoon of publisher Herbert Hungerford in upper left