See painted panorama of Smethport 1858
See recent picture 2003
Bergstrawser Inn, the tavern, located above the Courthouse, was an important building in Smethport. It was bought and sold many times, and has had over 8 owners since the 1860's. It was owned by Mrs. Bergstrawser until 1864, when it fell into the possession of W.B. Warren and David R. Bennet. In 1868, Mr. J.L. Warden owned it, followed by Eurell V. Chadwick. Katherine and Charles Lemmler purchased the Inn on April 13, 1884 for $900, and on November 2, 1934, Ralph E. Burdick bought it for $1. It appears that the Lemmlers repurchased it for the price of $1 on the same day for unknown reasons. Leonore Lemmler inherited Bergstrawser Inn upon the death of her mother, Katherine. At that time, personal estate was valued at $30,034.46. Again, the property was purchased for $1 by Hubert and Virginia Morrison on August 30,1945, and finally sold to it's current owners, Cynthia and Reid Matteson, on May 28, 1981. Reid is an engineer for Smethport Specialty Co and Cynthia is an English teacher for Otto Eldred High School.
Location in 2003
Return to 1858