Dr. S. D. Freeman died at his Sanitarium in this place
on Thursday night last, of cancer of the stomach, aged 65 years. For some
time past the deceased has suffered with stomach difficulty, and it has
been a question of some moment with the medical fraternity as to what
was the cause of his physical disability. The day following his death
an autopsy was held on the remains by the following physicians: Smith,
of Emporium: Otto. of Port Allegany: Kane, of Kane and McCoy of this place.
The fact was developed by the autopsy that the deceased had been a victim
to cancer of the stomach of a most malignant form.
Dr. Freeman was born, so says the McKean county historian,
in Potter County, on the 29th day of January 1820. When 3 years old his
father's family moved to Shippen Township, this county, near where Emporium
now stands. At that time Shippen was an important township of McKean county.
The deceased received his early education in the common schools of the
county and while quite a young man determined upon adopting the medical
profession as an occupation in more mature years. He mastered the common
branches and prepared himself to enter the office of Dr. Wisner, a practicing
physician of this borough at that time. A year later, the deceased entered
the Buffalo Medical University from which he graduated with high honors
in 1856. He at once located in Smethport for the practice of his profession.
At the breaking out of the rebellion, in 1861, he was mad surgeon of
the Bucktail regiment. His efficiency in the discharge of the very responsible
and trying duties devolving upon him in that position attracted the
attention of his superiors, and in October, 1862, he was promoted to
the position of medical director and stationed at Baltimore, where the
remained until the close of the war. He was subsequently appointed medical
director of the North-West Department and was filling that position,
with headquarters at St. Paul, during the memorable Custer campaign
against the Indians. He was brevetted Lieut. -Col. At the close of the
war for meritorious services in the different departments over which
he presided. In 1876 he was correspondent for the Committee on Foreign
Relations of the United States Senate, and visited Mexico with the committee
during the complications existing between that country and the United
States about that time.
Freeman was a man of remarkable powers in the line of his profession,
no one can question unless swayed by prejudice. He was recognized bye
the highest medical authorities as one of the most accomplished surgeons
in all this section of country. Like thousands of other men possessing
rare gifts in a profession or business way, he had his failures, but
of these we do not care to dwell upon. He has gone to the presence of
his Maker where he must answer for the "deeds done in the body."
It is not possible in these days of enlightenment that his theories
as to the Christian religion and the immortality of the soul should
prevail. The deceased was married in 1855 to Miss Lucretia A. Reisdorph,
the result of that union being three daughters-Kate, wife of F. N. Taylor,
Esq: Ella, wife of druggist H. C. Wells, and Bessie, who died in early
youth. It was nearly thirty years after their marriage when the two
became so estranged towards each other that the determined to separate.
Afterwards they were divorced.
A few years
ago Dr. Freeman established the Sanitarium on King Street, this borough,
which bears his name. Large numbers of invalids have b been helped and
many permanently cured at that institution. He was a comrade of McKean
Post, NO. 347 G. A. R., and until within three years past was a member
of the Masonic Lodge of this place. Also a member of the McKean County
Medical Association and was once of its earlier presidents.
The funeral services were held at the Sanitarium on Sunday afternoon
last at 2 o'clock, a large concourse of people being in attendance.
They were in charge of Post 317 G. A.R., assisted by Revs. Halliwell
and Wright. Six comrades of the old Bucktail regiment acted as pallbearers,
and a guard of honor from the McKean County Medical Association acted
as escort. The floral offerings were beautiful.
at the grave were conducted in accordance with the ritual of the Grand
Army and were very impressive. They were closed with a brief prayer
by Rev. Halliwell, a volley from a squad of the G. A. R., and the benediction
by Rev. Wright.
The following is a partial list of those
who attended the funeral from out of town: