A. N. Taylor: Wealthy Smethport Merchant Falls to an Early Death from Back Porch!
Successful merchant A. N. Taylor died May 15, 1876 at his residence from injuries as a result of a fall off his back porch of his W .Main Street mansion on September 25, 1875. Born in 1824, A.N. spent his entire adult career in the merchatile business. In 1845 at age 21, he formed a partnership with his father, and purchased the Astor House Hotel, added a general store, and moved into the owner's apartment. In 1849 he married Ann E. Fuller from Oswego County, New York. He successfully managed and expanded the Astor House Hotel until it burned to the ground March 28, 1868 when he constructed a store on the Sartwell Block of W. Main Street. At the time of his untimely death in 1875 he was reportedly worth $300,000. The Taylors had three children, the oldest of which, Ada, married D. C. Young, who would also become a well known merchant in Smethport.
Taylor's daughter and son-in-law, D.C. moved into the mansion following Mr. Taylor's accident and the home became known as the D.C. Young Mansion and lived here from 1874-1913. Mr. Young also owned the D.C. Young General Store on Main Street. The store was destroyed by fire in 1910, and Mr. Young died 3 years later.
When a town loses one of its ablest, most energetic, successful and
wealthiest business men, the loss is not fully repaired in years.
At the time of his fatal fall he had in contemplation the use of a portion
of his ample means for the building up and improvement of the borough,
and had already taken energetic steps in that direction. He left
a widow and three children, one son and two daughters; and though well
provided for as to the things of this world, nothing can fully compensate
the loss of a kind and wisely indulgent father and husband. Mr. Taylor,
always a Republican in politics from the organization of the party, was
once elected associate judge by an overwhelming majority. During
the days of the Civil War he had the fullest faith in the ultimate success
of the Union army, and he had lost since that time none of his love for
the principles of his party or his zeal for their success.
McKean County Miner October 20, 1881 article on the D. C. Young house
COMFORTABLE HOME The most conveniently
arranged house in this borough, we think, is that of D. C. Young.
No expense has been spared to put it
in its present condition, and excellent taste has been shown in all its appointments. The heating apparatus is perfect in every particular, and from cellar to garrett the house can be kept at a desired temperature. The water convenience is all one could wish, the arrangement for hot and cold water having been made in all parts, and the closests, bath tubs, etc, are found in different parts of the domicile. Mr. Young has also built in a new barn, which resembles a comfortable dwelling house, more than the home of horses, or the receptacle for carriages. It has several compartments for special use. The painting of the exterior is nearly completed, and one of the finest barns in the county about ready for use.
About Dewitt Clinton & Ada
photo credits: Ernie and Pat Long Collection
D.C. Young, merchant, Smethport, son of Arthur and Laurinda (Stull) Young, was born May 5, 1843, at Farmer's Valley, McKean Co., Penn. His parents were among the early settlers of that county, and his paternal great-grandfather, William Young, was a native of Providence, R.I., where he lived and died. Stephen, a son of William Young, removed to Norwich, Chenago Co., N.Y., when that county was comparatively in a state of nature, and then married Betsy Green, and reared a family of ten children.
Removing with his family to Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., he purchased lands and followed farming until his decease in 1841, Betsy, his widow, surviving him until 1858. Their children were as follows: Clinton, Edward, Anna, Hannah, Arthur, Betsy, Harriet, Stephen, Malvina and William. The parents of Lucinda Stull, mother of D.C. Young, were also among the pioneers of McKean county, her father having located in Eldred township in 1811. Arthur, the third son of Stephen and Betsy Young, was born at Norwich, Chenago Co., N.Y., in 1813, and with his parents removed to McKean County, Norwich township, settling in 1821.
When a boy of fourteen years of age he engaged
in trapping for mink and otter, and after making a sale of his furs he
found himself in possession of a sufficient sum of money to enable him
to purchase a gun. Later he became one of the noted hunters of his
day, and had the reputation of having killed a greater number of deer,
bear, panthers and wildcats than any other individual in the county.
This gun, his first purchase, which he always used in his expeditions in
search of game, he bequeathed to his son, D.C., who cherishes it as a most
valuable heirloom. Educational advantages were
not as great then as now, and Arthur Young's experience in that connection was of a practical nature. After his marriage he engaged in farming, and became one of the successful agriculturists of McKean county. He was a member of the Democratic Party until 1858, when he enlisted in the ranks of the supporters of Fremont, and ever after was identified with the Republican party. He never sought political preferment, choosing the enjoyment of the home circle rather than the more exciting field of politics. His death occurred in 1879; his widow still has her residence upon the old homestead farm.
D.C. Young, the subject of these lines, after attending the common schools at home, completed his education at Alfred University, Alfred Centre, Allegheny Co., N.Y., after which he, in 1865, began his mercantile career as an employee of A.N. Taylor, at Smethport, Penn., with whom he remained three years, when he accepted a similar position with Henry Hamlin, of same place, serving him for like period of time; then, in 1871, he became associated with his former employer, A.N. Taylor, as dealers in general merchandise. This partnership, however, was dissolved in 1875, and Mr. Young removed to Larrabee, McKean Co., Penn., where he carried on business for six years, and where he also owned (and yet owns) a large stock farm. In 1881 he returned to Smethport, where he has since been engaged in business, and is now one of the representative men and leading successful merchants of the place. In 1871 Mr. Young married Ada M., daughter of the late Hon. A.N. Taylor, of Smethport, and had three children: Raymond, Louis and Ada. He is a member of Smethport Lodge, No. 388, F.& A.M., Arnold Chapter, No. 254, R.A.M., of Port Alleghany, and of Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K.T., of Bradford. In politics he is a Republican.
History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania,
Volume 1; Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co.,
Publishers, © 1890.