OF WM. H. WOOD
Newark's Noted Architect Expires in Philadelphia"
14 March 1897
William Halsey Wood, the well-known architect,
died at the residence of his father-in-law, 2127 Locust street, Philadelphia,
on Saturday last, from consumption, after a short illness. He was born
in Newark in 1855, and was the son of Daniel Wood, who came of Revolutionary
stock. He received his education in the public schools of this city, and
while a very samll boy developed a remarkable talent for drawing. He entered
the office of Thomas A. Roberts, architect, and on attainting his majority
some twenty years ago, was admitted to partnership with his employer,
under the fimr name of Roberts, Taylor & Wood. The firm was dissolved
in a short time, and Mr. Wood embarked in business on his own account.
Soon after thisw he made two trips to Europe where h acquired knowledge
that was of great advantage to him in his profession in after years.
One of his earliest works o his own account was the house of William Clark,
o Mount Prospect avenue. Mr. Wood's talents were such that he rapidly
rose to the front rank in his profession, and he displayed remarkable
ability as a church architect. He came conspicuously before the public
in 1889, when his was one of the four plans selceted for elaboration in
the international competition for the design of the Cathedral of St. John
the Divine. Fully one hundred architects were in the competition. Mr.
Wood's plan, with two others, Robertson and Potter having withdrawn, was
placed on exhibitoin in the See House, 29 Lafayette place, in 1891. His
plan, of which "Jerusalem the Golden," was the underlying motive,
was much admired. It was not chosen, however, the desing of Heins &
La Farge being finally selected.
Among his other prominent works were the chapel of the University of the
South, in Tennessee; St. Paul's, Chattanooga; St. Michael's and All Angels,
Annisten, Albama; St. Luke'sSsmethport, Pa.; Zion and St. Timothy the
church of the Redeemer, St. Paul's, St. Matthews and All Angels, in New
York; the Peddie Memorial, First Congregational, Wickliffe Presbyterian,
sixth Presbyterian, in this city; Christ Church, Bloomfield; St. Paul's,
East Orange. Hes also the architect of the Carnegie Library, at Bellevue
Hospital, New York, and the Carnegie Library, at Braddock,, Pa. In addition
to this he was the architect of a large number of elegant residences in
various parts of this county, as well as in other cities of the Unioin.
Mr. Wood was an active and devoted member of the House of Prayer, having
been connected with the church since boyhood, when he served at the altar
as an accolyte. He was for several years choirmaster of the church, and
it was under his leadership the the choir of the House of Prayer attained
a very high reputation for the excellence of it music. Under his direction
the choir rendered some of the most elaborate and difficult compositions
that have ever been given in Newark. Not only was he a very successful
trainer of boys, but he took a warm interest in their welfare and was
exceedingly liberal and kind to them as well as most generous in his gifts
to his parish church to which he was always deeply attached. On of his
last works wa the design of the beautiful memorial altar in the House
Personally, Mr. Wood was one of the gentlest and most loveable of men,
and enthusiastic lover of his profession, with a very high standard of
art which he persistently refused to lower for mere ends of gain. "He
was an earnest and consistent Christian, a courteous and agreeable gentleman,
a devoted and affectionate son, hsuband and father, and a true and loyal
friend," said a relative this morning.
Mr. Wood was taken to the home of his father-in-law, in Philadelphia three
weeks ago, in the hope that a change of scene and skilled medical treatment
might effect a cure, but it was of no avail, and he continued to grow
worse until death at length brought realease. His funeral will take place
in the church of St. James the Less, in Philadelphia, on Wednesday morning,
at 11 o' clock.
The church of St. James the Less was once celebrated all over the country
as one of the choicest specimens of church architecure in the land. The
family burial plot of Mr. Hemsley, Mr. Wood's father-in-law, is in the
church yard, and it is there that the deceased will be buried in accordance
with his aft-expressed desire.