SW Corner of Main & Mechanic AFTER 1898 Opera House Fire
Following the December 1898 fire the building site was cleaned-up and the
HAMILTON BUILDING 1903 was constructed.
photo credit: Dona Fizzell Cooper Collection
Click here to visit The Smethport Historic Registry!
the plaque awarded to this property!
OPERA HOUSE FIRE
See this location on street map
Dr. Robert Hamilton returned from the Alaska gold rush he bought
the lot at Main and Mechanic Streets and started work on the brick
that stands there today. The lot was purchased and construction started
July 5, 1902.
Total cost for the lot and building was $11,361.00. The building remained in the Hamilton family until 1980 when it was sold by Dr. Hamilton's grandchildren.
On the left hand side of the Hamilton Building was a hardware store and the right hand side was a pharmacy. Apartments were upstairs.