1923:  Smethport Garage, Smethport PA

photo credit: John G. Coleman Collection


The Smethport Garage is second to none in the entire trade area.
story credit: Welcome to Smethport, Souvenir Magazine section of McKean County Miner
The Smethport Garage Company, located opposite the Court House, one of the best known institutions of its kind in this area, was organized in 1917, by the late J. Clayton Backus, and for the past eighteen years has occupied a prominent place in the business life of the community. In 1923 the company erected the handsome brick business block, on Main Street, opposite the Court House, which is generally conceded to be the finest and most modernly constructed garage and sales room building in a radius of many miles. Its accommodations afford commodious office quarters, a large and convenient mechanical department, an attractive show room, and ample storage space.

The equipment of the garage is up-to-date in every respect, including modern mechanical devices and a wrecker service to meet any ordinary emergency. The equipment, together with well trained and experienced mechanics, guarantees the most efficient service. Their is no job too large or too small to receive prompt and competent attention from this organization. Their service embraces everything from repairing and replacing old parts to body and fender work.

The president and general manager of the company, Mr. W.R. Stark, began his career in the auto garage business when the industry was in its early stages, and the success of his endeavor is reflected in the fact that he is regarded as one of the dependable authorities on intricate motor adjustment.

The treasurer, Mr. W. H. Gallup, one of the principal shareholders of the organization, is widely known in the field, and recognized as one of its prominent business executives, being connected with a number of important local enterprises.

The organization is sales and service agents of the popular Plymouth, DeSoto, and Dodge automobiles, and carries a line of auto parts and accessories, as well as specializing Goodyear tires and Quaker State Products, a local enterprise.

Backed by men of high integrity and proven ability, there is no auto service and sales agency in McKean County which is recognized as more dependable than the Smethport Garage Company.

Return to Smethport Garage 1923