Holley's Original Factory
George Holley's Motor Carriage
George Holley's Motor Bicycle
The Holley was built
was Mr. Frank P. Holley in 1901. The Holley was built on the site of the former
Riddell house. The Holleys lived on the second floor in the front apartment
on the corner of Main and Davis. Frank Holley had two sons, George and Earl,
who attended Bradford Public High School.
The Holley boys were natural tinkers and mechanics, and it was George who first experimented with putting a gasoline motor onto a bicycle. It is believed that George's motor bicycle, created in 1896, was the first of its kind in the U.S.A.
This superb hotel, recently completed, is the finest
in western New York and Pennsylvania. It is strictly fire proof in every
sense of the word, the only wood used in the entire building being the
doors, door casings and windows.
He was proprietor of the late Riddell house
for fifteen years, his patronage increasing to such an extent that larger
quarters were necessary so the Riddell was torn down and the present
hotel Holley was erected on the same site. Mr. Holley is very popular
and the universal wish is that his successful career will continue.
Special thanks to the Bradford Landmark Society, Bradford Public Library, and Mary Pierotti for all their time and attention.