Callar Building
Anderson Boot & Shoe Shop (Formerly Known As Callar Drug Store)
& Miller Tailor Shop

photo credit: Smethport Illustrated, an Illustrated Souvenir of Smethport, Pennsylvania.  By John W. Sanborn and Charles Latham  ©1895

Anderson Boot & Shoe Shop 1895

1895 Palace Pharmacy becomes Anderson Shoe Store

1909 D. C. Young fire destroys 200 block buildings

1909 Anderson Shoe Store


Anderson Boot & Shoe Shop 1895

Kerr Jewelry Store 1940

Kerr Magnet Toys 1906

See Location on Street Map

See Location in 2005

Mckean County Miner
Jan. 25, 1895
Albert Anderson, the shoemaker. will move his shop into the callar building and occupy part of it in connection with John Miller. The tailor. Mr. Anderson will put in a fine line of boots and shoes, consequently it will be a first-class gents' furnishing establishment.





W.T. CALLAR, druggist, Smethport, son of William and Alvira (Lewis) Callar, was born in Sharon township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1841. His father was a native of England, where he was reared and educated. He emigrated to America and located in Allegany county, N.Y., where he married; soon after he went to Potter county, Penn., and from there to what is now the county seat of Cameron county, where he was engaged in the lumber and milling business. He died in 1848, and his widow in January, 1885. W.T. Callar, their only son, began life as a farmer, but removed to Kane, where he started the first drug store, and in 1876 came to Smethport and opened a drug store, which he still carries on. He is a thirty-second degree Freemason, and a member of the consistory at Bloomsburg; also a member of the I.O.O.F., lodge and encampment. Mr. Callar is identified with the Democratic party, but is no politician, as he devotes his entire time to business. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.

McKean Democrat

Former Well Known Smethport Resident
Passed Away Last Week.

(September 15, 1921)

Dr. W. T. Callar, of Woodbine, N. J., who has been in ill health for some time died of heart disease at the George Washington Hospital on August 29. Dr. Callar was born in Kane, Pa., November 21, 1841. He was a graduate of Pennsylvania Institute of Pharmacy. In 1892 he purchased the Summers farm near Sterling, Va., and had been a resident of Loudoun County until about a year ago, when he returned to New Jersey on account of ill health. Surviving him are his wife, Orpha G. Callar, two daughters, Mrs. W. E. Alexander, of Randolph, N. Y.; Miss Eva Callar, of Woodbine, N. J.; and two sons, Vernon G. Callar, of Falis Church, Va.; and Dr. Donald Callar of Staunton, Va. Dr. Callar was a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, Elk Chapter 730; Orient Council No. 30, Knapp Commandery, Knights Templar No. 140, and Caldwell Consistory, Scottish Rite Masonry, of Bloomsburg Pa. Masonic funeral services were held at Harper’s Cemetery, Harper’s Ferry, W. Va. August 31.---Loudon Times, Leesburg, Va., September 8.
Older residents of Smethport will remember Mr. Callar well and will be grieved to learn of his death. For a number of years he conducted a drug store in this borough and built the brick building on Main Street, now occupied by the Star Theater.

A Complete Drug Store
March 25, 1880

One of the most tastily arranged, best-conducted and complete drug stores in the Northern Tier is the one owned by Thomas Caller, on Main Street. The drug department is complete in every way, and in addition to this main branch of trade the store contains a large stock of fancy goods, cigars, lamps, and many other articles, which we will not attempt to mention at this time. The cigar and lamp trade is made a specialty, and a better quality of these goods can be found at no store in this section. The gentlemanly clerk, Mr. MoNab, is always at his post ready to attend to customers and by his strict attention to business and genial manners has won many friends among us.


2005:  The Callar Building
Anderson Boot & Shoe Shop
& Miller Tailor Shop

photo credit: Kayla Lincoln

Return to 1895


see building in 1940 east on main return to main street main street 1940