1907 - 1910: Smethport
Cut Glass Works
See this building today
Backus Novelty buys building in 1911
See articles on factory accident
1911: Cutglass Factory
purchased by Backus Novelty
1950's: Backus joins the Garage
and the new factory
In 1907 Smethport Cut Glass Company opened in Smethport, creating exquisitely fine quality cut glass.
Factory employed about 30 workers at its peak.
Frank Reynolds originally from New Bedford, MA and later from Vineland, NJ was one of principal stockholders. Mr. Reynolds taught the staff how to cut glass. Glass resembles Vineland, NJ style of cut glass.
With the advent of importation of cut glass from Belgium the market fell and the business failed to make a profit.
Building & contents were sold at sherrif's sale March 3, 1910. Grantee was Hamlin Bank.
The original 3 story cut glass factory would later be purchased by Backus Novelty Company. Present building rebuilt on original foundation.
incorporated: June 26, 1907
dissolved: March 7, 1910
operation moved to Smethport from Vineland,
located at 411 W. Water St. Present location of Backus Co./ Chef Specialties
7 Directors of Smethport Cut Glass
R.W. Hilton, R.E. Burdick,T. W. Camp, C.A. Burdick, C.D. Comes, Geo. R. Reinhart, Frank Reynolds
(5 shares each)
J.E. Myers (secretary), C.A. Burdick (President), John Forrest, H.H. Redfield, R. W. Hilton, O.J. Hamlin, Sanford L. Fry; Clinton D. Comes, H.W. Rubin, Thomas Camp, Chas. McKean, James McKean, W.D. Gallup, Leo Herzog, Ed Walker, J.S. Walker, Ralph E. Burdick (Trustee), J.C. Gallup, C.H. Gleason, J. Colegrove, M.W. Heinlein, F.W. Brownell, G.C. Oviatt, H.H. McCoy, Frank Reynolds from Vineland, NJ (20 shares), Geo. R. Reinhart from Philadelphia (40 shares)
photo credit: Mary Pierotti Family Collection
These are some
of the employees of the cut glass factory around the 1907.
Maybe you can help us identify them!
McKean County Miner; Thursday, March 19, 1908 (Page 1, Column 2 )
Fire Early This Morning
The night watchman at the Smethport cut glass factory discovered a fire on the second floor of that building about 1:30 this morning. He at once blew the factory whistle and in a short time the fire whistle called the hose company to the scene.
The firemen soon laid a line of hose and the blaze was drowned out within a very short time. At first it was thought that the fire started in a closet, but perhaps the most reasonable theory is that the building was struck by lightning. The flames burned along the ceiling, charring the roof on the inside.
A heavy rain was falling and the water rushing down the hillsides made a roar that almost drowned the sound of the whistles, consequently a number of firemen were unaware of the alarm until they arose this morning.
The damage done by the flames is not extensive and the damage by water cannot be estimated correctly at this writing.
McKean County Miner; January
14, 1909 (Page 1, Column 1)
Tom Pollack Portville, NY,
Anne D. Potter, Smethport, PA &
Amy Pierrotti, Smethport, PA
McKean County Historical Society, Smethport
* Smethport Cut Glass was not marked with a logo it is impossible to identify unless its origins are known. We have photographed collections associated with original shareholders or workers. Because shareholders were paid with remaining inventory glass at the closing of the factory we were able to track down collections. Examples from Anne D. Potter collection (from O.J. Hamlin, shareholder) and Thomas Pollack (Clinton D. Comes-shareholder) collection were cross referenced to each other. Pieces that matched were included as examples of Smethport Cut Glass products. (Additional photos of collections will be linked to this site!)